Monday, July 28, 2008

Back to the Grind


Florida was absolutely stellar for the most part. We got in a lot of beach time (but somehow immediately upon arrival in Minnesota...my "tan" went away). I prefer to think it's the lighting...bad lighting up here. j/k! A fair skinned lady such as myself tends to burn alot...so fortunately I left with little redness. While we were there...we hit up the Daytona Speedway (fun but probably not something you need to do twice in your lifetime). We also rented some jetskis and quickly found out that Daytona Beach is probably not the best place to do the jetskis. They have prohibited them from the ocean so you basically have a 2 mile area to jet ski in the river. Not a whole lot of extra scenery to look at for an hour in a 2 mile area. We also went to the Ponce Inlet lighthouse and climbed to the top. Andy was quite frightened (200 ft) up but it was a good time. Anyways, on with what this blog is really about...the runs...and then the reason behind why my long run is missing...(sad)


Run 1- 3 Miles

Run 2- 3 Miles

Run 3- 8 miles

Run 4- 3 miles


I was supposed to have an additional 11 mile run in there. But you see...our 5 star condo decided that they would start to slack once they changed management. The fitness center was unbearable. The air conditioner was broken through Wednesday and it was nearly impossible to make it through 3 miles even. They equipment was disgusting. Instead of having a disinfectant spray and paper towels, they told people to wipe machines off with towels. Have you ever heard of such a thing? I was like...yea...I'm going to smear all of my sweat all over this machine for the next person. Great. And I will say that I was sweating...alot. By the end of those 3 mile runs, my machine was drenched. I have rarely ever dropped much on a machine, but that one was coated in Rachel sweat. But anyways, enough of that grossness. So they finally fixed the air conditioner like Wednesday sometime and then I was able to get my 8 mile tempo run in on Thursday. I didn't run on the beach because unfortunately it just appeared way too darn hot for a Minnesota gal. I stepped outside at 8 am every morning and said...Nope just not doing it. But...at least I did get most of my runs done on the treadmill. The 11 miler was pushed for Sunday until we got back so that I didn't have to deal with trying to spend 2 hours of my vacation doing it. Well when I got back...I definetly didn't feel like running 11 miles. So...this is the first time I've skipped a long run. And really I should feel horrible about it...but I'm going to attempt to make it up today and then just have a super hard week this week. I have 12 miler this week as well but I figure if I do it on Friday then I should be alright. I hope anyway.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwww too bad you lost your tan already!! That can only mean one thing: You need more Vacations!!!!!! :P
Seems like you are up for a tough week with 2 long runs so close to each other, you're gonna be really tired by the weekend!

*jen* said...

Welcome back! I was wondering where in FL you were. I lived on the W Coast of FL. Great job on getting those runs in! I can't imagine doing the same while being on vacation. That's some kinda dedication, lady!

Simon Anderson said...

Well done on getting out while on holiday. Half marathons are my favourite distance, and I could quite easily race one every week.

The key is consistency, which you seem to have grasped. Keep your long runs of between 12-15 miles and you'll have a great race day.

Good luck!