Friday, June 20, 2008

A 5 mile Struggle

Run Distance: 4.75 miles Run Time: Pathetic

I was starting to feel better by the afternoon yesterday so I figured I would at least attempt to hack the five miler I have scheduled later this week. Well...somehow after not eating the whole day before and only being able to stomach fruit salad that day...I was pretty much worthless in the terms of energy. I got on the treadmill (it was 83 degrees out...no way I was headed outside after being sick!)...and I was doing alright for the first mile...not great...but not bad. The second mile I ended up with some abdominal cramping which was not at all like a side stitch. Not sure what that was about. Third mile I was walking...and then attempted running again to only feel faint. Nonetheless...it was not a good run. I finished 4.75 miles of walking/running so at least I can say I almost got the distance in despite my upchucks the day before.

I'm hoping that I can get a 9 mile run in early morning Saturday. It's supposed to be really warm and I'd like to get it done before the heat sets in.

3 comments:

EmLit said...

Don't be too hard on yourself if you have to take a few days off. It sounds like your body may really need some rest, and it may be that you will do more harm than good by pushing yourself to do your long run if you aren't really up to it.

I hope you feel better soon!

SueBob said...

I agree. You may want to give your immune system some time to recuperate. Just think how good it will feel to get back to that 9 mile run feeling strong and ready to kick its butt. Only you can know whether you feel up to it though.

Chris said...

I guess this means you decided not to take the weekend off. Rest a little, Rachel. You will pop back up running better than ever!