Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Running Rut

Friday's Run : 3 miles
Monday's Run: 2.5 miles, Eliptical: 2 miles, 150 crunches

It seems that lately I rarely have a magnificent run to report. I think I'm in some sort of a running rut or something. Anyways, yesterday I went to the gym to work out because it was in the 40's outside and my skin doesn't do well with those chilly temps.

Of course, the gym this time of year is always a freaking sauna. I think that maybe they just lack good circulation but it wasn't pleasant. BUT...by no means as bad as when I went to Florida last year. So that is what I envision whenever I start to think about how warm it is in the gym. I just think about how much worse it could be!

Anyways, I probably started my run out a little hard. I was thinking about the fact that I missed 2 days in a row this weekend and that I needed to get caught up and pushed my speed up a little too hard at the start. My legs started to get this strange weak feeling at about mile 2. I've never really experienced the same feeling. My legs felt weak at the tail end of my marathon but never quite like this. It was like they were going to give out at the hip or something. I made it to 2.5 and jumped off. My hip was a little sore but I figured I just pushed a little too hard at the start and hopped on the half eliptical thing. I did alright on there but was incredibly bored. That and my toes started to hurt pretty bad. (The nails are still growing back in.) I'm not entirely sure whether they are supposed to hurt at this stage or not, but if they continue I may be back in the doc's office again and I'd like to avoid that.

I was actually just at the doctor not long ago. She diagnosed me with eczema. Which would explain the horrible burning sensation that occurs when my skin gets all sweaty. It is starting to get a little better now that we have seen some warmer temps, but those windy days really kick it back up. It has been rainy and in the high 40s-low 50s this week and that has caused a rehash of the ouchy skin syndrome. The doctor prescribed me some ointment to help out but it really doesn't seem to do alot other than make me feel like I'm doing something to help the situation.

Anyways, on a positive note....I am running a 5k this week with General Mills. Should be an exciting time because my lil bro and dad will be running it with me! Although, my dad got me a large TShirt...which I'm guessing is going to be a little big. And it is supposed to be a Technical T...so it would have been nice to be able to wear it in training but I figure it is probably going to become a sleep T. Oh wells. It's the race that really matters...because my little bro will be running!!

Hope you all had some good runs this weekend!!

4 comments:

SueBob said...

Have fun at your 5K this weekend!

Where is it? I looked online and didn't see anything, although I think you said it is for employees/families only...I live right down the street from their Golden Valley offices, so I was just wondering...

Rachel said...

Good question...it is at the Golden Valley corporate facilities and is open only to employees and their families or maybe people they invite? So if you know someone who works there, you should run it!

Irish Cream said...

HOORAY for races! Good luck this weekend! Maybe the 5K will be just the thing you need to get you out of the rut! :)

EmLit said...

Good luck this weekend! I can definitely relate to being in a running rut. We should come up with a cute name for it, like rutting. That's what you're doing when you're in a rut.

I hope the ointment eventually starts to be a bit more helpful with the eczema! Ouchy skin is no fun.