Monday, August 4, 2008

5 Days Left

This weekend I only had one addtional run. I set out to get a 3 mile run done on Saturday morning (not even 12 hours after my 12 miler) and discovered that it really wasn't such a great idea. I headed down the stairs of my apartment and immediately felt a little bit of pain in my knees. Thinking about injury before my half marathon, I turned back up the stairs. I got to the top of the stairs and then I thought "Why don't you just see if it will wear off? You are already dressed so you might as well go out." So I headed back down the stairs, only to turn back up and down them 1 more time. I'm pretty sure I probably looked like a lost duck. But anyway, I eventually battled my way outside. My knees were still bugging me when I took off but I figured it would subside eventually. I continued on with the fear of injury looming over me. I was already ahead 3 miles in total mileage for the week due to the double long runs. At about the 1 mile mark, I ended up with some chest pains. Immediately upon getting these, I decided that it would be best if I turned around. I was already over mileage and I really want to do well for my half marathon. Anyways, I don't know if it was just my mind playing games on me or what but that was the extent to my running this weekend. My knees were still bothering me a little so I figured I'd stay off of them until my short run today.



I have a great book to suggest to you guys. I spoke with my aunt (a dietician) on the phone after my 5k a few weeks ago. She suggested that I read Nancy Clark's book, Sports Nutrition. Well, since I work at an academic library, I figured that we just might have it. With my luck, we did and I haven't been able to put it down. It is an excellent tool for figuring out what to use to fuel your body. I'm sure some of you have already read it or the sister book for marathoners, but I think you all should definetly check it out!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Hello from a VRC member! Take care of those knees, and good luck with the Half. (I'm running the Chicago Half on Sunday)

Thanks for the book recommendation; I'm going to check it out . . .my nutrition has been severely lacking.