Thursday, September 25, 2008

9 AMAZING MILES~!

Run Distance: 9 miles, Run Time: 1 Hour 20 Minutes

Good news to report...finally!! Yesterday I went for a nice 9 mile run. The weather was perfect, nice and cool, sunny, and beautiful. The leaves are turning colors and for once I was actually not taking that as "winter is coming, winter is coming, oh no!".

The big news: A 9 mile run with no knee pain while running. Now, the problem comes with the fact that I changed 3 variables during this run and any number of them could have attributed to the lack of knee pain.
Variable #1:
I purchased a Pro-Tech band from the Running Warehouse and wore it during my run yesterday.

Variable #2:
I purchased new Nike Pegasus shoes and wore those during my run yesterday.

Variable #3:
My physical therapist changed the angle of attack and started working on my hip and IT band instead of my entire leg.
Perhaps all three aided in my great painless run...but either way I was loving it. Finally, I was hitting 9 min/mile splits through a good portion of my run. I haven't done that since before my half marathon! How exciting!!
Today...my knee is in a little bit of pain. I'm thinking I just need to do some extra stretching.

Now here are some quick reviews of the products I purchased:

Nike+ Women's Pegasus 25th Anniversary Edition


I bought these grand shoes from the Running Room again. It was their 20th or something anniversary as well so I got my shoes with a 15% discount which I loved. But anyway, the newer, bluer edition of the Nike Pegasus--seem to be alright thus far. I started out the run with a bit of pain in the toe box. My toes actually started to go numb. I attributed it to the fact that maybe my shoe laces are just too darn short (I accidently left the longer ones at the store). Anyway, I tried to loosen my shoes up a bit and the pain went away a couple of miles in to my run. The shoes felt great--much like previous pair of Pegasus. I have read some reviews that also say the toe box is too narrow. I'm not entirely sure whether that was the problem or not (I may have just tied them too tight?!) But anyway, if that is the case, I would be suprised. My feet are pretty small as it is and definetly not unordinarily wide. So, if the toe box is too narrow, it could be cutting in to alot of "normal" footed people. Anyways, the cushion appears to be perfect, felt like I was riding on air--much like my old Pegasus.


Protec Patella Tendon Strap

The strap goes on pretty easy with velcro. It had a small little pouch cushion that goes directly under your knee. As I said before, I don't know if this attributed to my pain-free run, but I'm sure it might have helped. It didn't slide up and down during my run and was easily adjustable. Time will well if it really helps my knee on those long runs!

Today, I have scheduled a 5 miler on the treadmill. It is supposed to rain and it is kind of chilly here today (plus I need the gym time for my insurance rebate!).

















7 comments:

SueBob said...

Yay!!! Congrats on the great run! You really deserve it after pushing through all the knee issues. Nice kicks - I haven't tried the new Pegasus yet, but I am a fan of the 2007 model (I have 2 pair).

Alissa said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy you're starting to feel like yourself again. I have the Nike Pegasas too (though not the anniversary edition). I love them!

Chris said...

Great news, Rachel!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on a good run without pain! Have you not been using any kind of knee strap before now? I have a strap from Wellgate, but lately they are sliding on long runs and causing more pain than they are preventing. I need something new.

nwgdc said...

Great news, Rachel! Keep with it! IT's ALL WORTH IT! Run for NF!!

Anonymous said...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

*jen* said...

YAY!! Good stuff, Rachel. I'm so happy for you!