Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Rainy and Gloomy

Run Time: 30 min, 3 miles, Eliptical: 30 minutes, 150 crunches

Yesterday I was totally and completely dreading the Dreadmill. It was raining outside and ever since last year's incident with the hail and the storm, I've strayed away from the dark clouds on rainy days. I actually switched things up and ate before working out this time as well. Despite the fact that I was extremely motivated and mentally doing awesome on the Dreadmill, the meal I had eaten previously wasn't sitting so hot. I had pasta with marinara sauce and the marinara was stinging my chest. Anyways, I didn't want to let that stop me so I continued through until I at least finished 3 miles and then hopped on the eliptical which always seems to be a little easier on the stomach and other pains than running on the Dreadmill. I think I've decided that the whole eating prior to running thing isn't for me. It has to be at least 3 hours after a meal before I can even think about setting foot into my running shoes.

Anyways, today looks pretty gloomy as well. I know we need the rain, but I'm itching to actually get a nice outdoor run in. Every time it has been nice out, I've had other priorities calling me in other directions. I think I'm going to have to make out a "Rachel Doesn't Ever Stop" calendar just to be able to fit my marathon training in when it starts in June! But hey, I asked for it...and I'm at least starting to really enjoy my runs!

Oh and odd thing keeps occuring with MyPlate. It tells me that I need to eat like 1,000 more calories every day. I think the thing is a little off. Because I certainly don't feel like I'm starving. Maybe a little hungry every now and then but I eat a few carrots or some fruit and I'm good. At least it is a good way to track calories...not sure I believe their "calorie needs" computage though.

2 comments:

Irish Cream said...

Okay, I was having this issue with My Plate as well, and I think I figured it out. When you select your "activity level" when calculating your caloric needs, you are supposed to select it based on your activity level OUTSIDE OF what you enter as exercise. Thus, since I live in NYC and have to walk everywhere(but don't include it in my "exercise" list), I selected "moderately active". Does that make sense? My number now makes MUCH more sense than when I originally entered "extremely active"!

EmLit said...

I'm not sure what to tell you about My Plate. I entered "moderately active" as my activity level and my calorie count is pretty accurate, and consistent with what I've calculated in other places (following Nancy Clark's guidelines, for instance). I've also lost a little bit of weight already, so I think I'm on the right track. I'd say go with Irish's suggestion and see if that has any effect. Good luck!